Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Sounds of Writing

I've found that I write best when I have setting into the right kind of mood. Music is crucial for getting myself in the zone. The problem is that there are different moods for different scenes.

For example, in one of the first scenes of All for Owen, I want to convey a very specific feeling to the reader. I found this song "In Heaven" by The Pixies that set the right tone. You have to listen to this specific live version because it has a very unique quality.  Kim deal sings it in this version rather than Frank Black, who usually sings this song.

Take a listen.


Awesome, right?

There is this creepy eery feeling that contrasts with the almost innocent lyrics. This is the essence of All for Owen, especially in the beginning.

Without giving away too much, there is an important task that the main characters need to accomplish. This journey (literal and figuratively) is captured in the moods of "Doors Unlock and Open" by Death Cab for Cutie.


Again, this has some really unique emotions in the song.

I like to create a mental soundtrack for my writing because it helps me write in the proper tone.
All for Owen should convey the innocence of some and the pure evil of others. Listening to songs like these really helps me get into the proper frame of mind. I'll try to post more inspirational songs as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment