Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I Am Inspired

It's time to rant about another book I've read and adore. This book is special to me because it got me interested in reading and thus writing. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.



When I was in school, I wasn't a reader. I had to take those classes to help me read. I remember during reading time, I would look over a book and get nothing out of it. My eyes would literally breeze over the pages while I daydreamed about something else. I figured it was just because I didn't like reading. And, in some respects, I was right.

It wasn't until very early on in college that I picked a book to read that I was excited about. I had a reading class and the teaching did something amazing. She gave us the option to pick a book to do a report on -- any book. She didn't have a preselected list of books, like they do in grade school.

I thought about it and decided that I'd actually be interested in reading I Am Legend. I bought the book, because the customary 2-week period that a library gives you wasn't enough for me. I was a really slow reader. I didn't want to deal with the added pressure. It's silly now that I look back at it.

I read I Am Legend at my own pace and I LOVED IT! There was something beautiful about the story telling that really spoke to me. I cared about the protagonist. I found time to read between classes. For the first time in my life, I read because I enjoyed it. I got something out of those words and I didn't daydream while I read, I day dreamed about the story during class (I know -- that's a whole other issue.) I devoured that book and wanted more.

I sometimes regret not reading I Am Legend Sooner. Maybe I would have loved reading and writing earlier in life. Either way, the story means a lot to me. It's short and simple and it's gritty and beautifully written.  Everyone should give it a try.

Matheson is a huge influence on my own story telling. I strongly suggest reading it. (It's better than and completely different from the movie.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment